meredithp: (Default)
[personal profile] meredithp

This weekend, while attending Philadelphia Leather Pride Night (more on that later), I learned that IML 2010 is Tyler McCormick, a disabled transman. Never before has a transman won IML, and never before has a disabled man won IML (though IML 2009 was Jeffrey Payne, who – like me – is late deafened). That he was judged to be the world’s number one leatherman is phenomenal, in my opinion. I set out looking for more information about him.


Unfortunately, what I found was pure hate. Not just misogyny, not just transphobia, not just ableism. Hate. The Advocate reported neutrally on the contest, but the comments are overflowing with ugly emotions that make me terribly sad. Commenters refer to Tyler as female, using female pronouns, as possessing “disgusting” genitalia, as “hiding his female ass in his chair,” etc. Only a very few people pipe up and say hey, maybe we should realize that we are exhibiting the very discrimination that the heterosexual vanilla community would like to direct at us.


I doubt Tyler is bothered too much by comments like that; I’ve never met an IML winner who wasn’t incredibly secure in his identity. But it breaks my heart that people would be so hateful. A win for a minority is a win for all of us. Those comments do not reflect the leather community that I know and love. The leather people I know would never be so shallow and hateful. It just makes me sad to see such anger and hate expressed by so-called leathermen.


Added: Found video of Tyler’s involvement in the contest; more hateful comments there too.




Date: 2010-11-08 08:11 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] fairerhiannon.livejournal.com
I didn't get a chance to tell you about the sh*t storm that happened after Tyler was chosen.

On the plus side, there are people from our local Leather Community who wrote essays and Facebook posts denouncing the hateful BS that people were posting.

Date: 2010-11-08 08:18 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] woofiegrrl.livejournal.com
I'm glad to hear that some people responded to the horrible things that were being said. I just do not see the leather community *I* know in those comments I linked to. Honestly, the commenters sound like a bunch of whiny queens...using that term descriptively, not as a slur.

Date: 2010-11-11 06:33 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] ammre.livejournal.com
1- You were at PLPN? damn! I should have gone! I was at a stupid birthday party instead.

2- WTF!@#?!# I remember when IML happened it was memorial day weekend same time as shibaricon. I remembered cheering on twitter about it. I dind't realize there was an epic-DOUSCHE population in the leather community. Holy wow. :( One of my good friends is a trans man and he competed last year for international bootblack. I'd be ripping out throats if people told him he wasn't ok because he wasn't born with an outie. :(

Profile

meredithp: (Default)
meredithp

March 2020

S M T W T F S
1234567
891011 121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031    

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

  • Style: Sky Treader for Ciel by nornoriel

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Aug. 29th, 2026 01:50 pm
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios