meredithp: (Default)
[personal profile] meredithp
I've been meaning to write about euphoria for a while now. It's my new life philosophy. I picked it up in mid 2007 when I broke out of the rat race by quitting my job and going back to school full time. Euphoria has kept me almost completely drama free for two years now. Life is good this way.


You just have to let stuff roll off your back, really. Internet trolls, people who cut you off in traffic, a delayed flight, anybody who gets annoyed for whatever trivial reason...all of it. Just let it go. Let it go. Be at peace with yourself. When I came up with the philosophy, it was my own doing, something I didn't even notice for about a year - but when I did, I could trace back the feeling to when I went back to school. That was the life change that was necessary for me to make this philosophy reality.


Take a look at Max Ehrmann's poem Desiderata:
Go placidly amid the noise and the haste,
and remember what peace there may be in silence.

As far as possible, without surrender,
be on good terms with all persons.
Speak your truth quietly and clearly;
and listen to others,
even to the dull and the ignorant;
they too have their story.
Avoid loud and aggressive persons;
they are vexatious to the spirit.

If you compare yourself with others,
you may become vain or bitter,
for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.
Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.
Keep interested in your own career, however humble;
it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.

Exercise caution in your business affairs,
for the world is full of trickery.
But let this not blind you to what virtue there is;
many persons strive for high ideals,
and everywhere life is full of heroism.
Be yourself. Especially do not feign affection.
Neither be cynical about love,
for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment,
it is as perennial as the grass.

Take kindly the counsel of the years,
gracefully surrendering the things of youth.
Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune.
But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings.
Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.

Beyond a wholesome discipline,
be gentle with yourself.
You are a child of the universe
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God,
whatever you conceive Him to be.
And whatever your labors and aspirations,
in the noisy confusion of life,
keep peace in your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.
Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.

This poem is really specific instructions for how to live by euphoria. I was first exposed to the poem in college (the first time - 1997) and I forgot about it for a long time. Later, after I came up with "euphoria," I realized that it's exactly what Max Ehrmann was talking about when he wrote this back in the 1920s. It's just about being peaceful. No doubt the universe is unfolding as it should. I love this poem so much because it allows me to really describe "euphoria" to people. I live my life by this poem, I guess, but I don't really think about it, I just live this way.


You don't need a life-changing event to adopt euphoria, by the way. You just need to decide that you're tired of the drama and ready to move on with your life! Forget all that crap behind you...be happy!


Check out my license plate, btw: EU4IA

Originally published at Amanita.net.
» Click here « to leave any comments.

Profile

meredithp: (Default)
meredithp

March 2020

S M T W T F S
1234567
891011 121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031    

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

  • Style: Sky Treader for Ciel by nornoriel

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Aug. 29th, 2026 12:40 pm
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios